Free Verse Editions represents a joint venture between Free Verse: A Journal of Contemporary Poetry & Poetics and Parlor Press. The series will publish 3-5 books of poetry per year. We are especially interested in collections that use language to dramatize a singular vision of experience, a mastery of craft, and a willingness to take risks.
- Manuscripts should be between 48 and 150 pages in 12-point type. Manuscripts should be clean and professionally presented. For submission purposes, do not use email or computer disks (if the manuscript is accepted, computer disks and/or email will be necessary).
- Manuscripts should be original, unpublished works. Original translations are welcomed.
- Each manuscript submission should be accompanied by a $20.00 check for the reading fee; the check should be made out to Parlor Press. International submissions are welcome, but the reading fee will need to be made out in US dollars on a bank check, not a personal check.
- The editor of Free Verse Editions reserves the right to accept for publication as many as five manuscripts-or none, if he deems the quality of the submissions insufficient. The editor also reserves the right to solicit manuscripts for the series (needless to say, not all the manuscripts accepted in a given year will be solicited. Free Verse Editions is committed to publishing new voices, as well as being open to more established ones).
- Manuscripts may be accompanied by a very brief cover letter (no more than half a page) introducing the manuscript. Please also cite journals that have published poems in the collection. Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, if noted (however the reading fee is not refundable, even if the manuscript is withdrawn). Contact information should include an address, a phone number, and an email address, if possible.
- Manuscripts not accepted for publication will be recycled, so do not send your only copy as it cannot be returned.
- Manuscripts accepted for publication can be revised before publication.
Submission period: April 1 - May 31, annually.
Submit a manuscript of original poetry or translation to:
Jon Thompson, Editor
Free Verse Editions
Department of English
North Carolina State University
Raleigh NC 27695-8105
Note: Please do not call, write or email the editor, or Parlor Press, to inquire about your manuscript during the reading period.